WEST NILE STREET
WHERE IS IT? On West Nile Street in the heart of the city centre, one block west of the Buchanan Galleries
No.99 – 107 West Nile Street is home to one of Alexander Thomson’s earliest commercial buildings. It was built in 1858, designed as a small office block with an accompanying warehouse.
It has gone through a number of changes over the years and is now home to not one but two city barbershops and a tattoo parlour. The stonework is etched with what would become his signature carved designs, while the top floor windows are held in Thomson’s typical colonnade.
The evolution of this particular feature can be seen in the nearby Grecian Chambers on Sauchiehall Street, which was built in 1865. The colonnade there is more prominent, using more decorated and curved Greek columns.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow