WHERE IS IT? In the south side of the city, adjacent to the south entrance of Queens Park, near Langside College
This category B listed hospital was conceived after a design competition was launched to build a new voluntary hospital in 1882. The eventual winner of the contest was the firm Campbell Douglas & Sellars.
The Victoria Infirmary, named after the reigning monarch, officially opened on Valentine’s Day 1890 with a capacity of just 84 beds. The original design by Campbell Douglas and James Sellars was constructed in three parts. The first, was an administration block and the first pavilions, while the second, built between 1891 and 1893, added an extra pavilion and also a residence for the nurses. The third part came somewhat later in 1899 and was finished in 1901, just as the hospital’s namesake Queen Victoria died, thus ending her reign and the era. It consisted of an isolation pavilion, as well as several new operating theatres.
A quarter of a century later, a number of other well-known architects and firms worked on the hospital. Henry Edward Clifford had designed a new ward pavilion and other outbuildings between 1902 and 1906, but they were not completed until the early 1930s by the firm Watson, Salmond & Gray. This firm was responsible for the extensions and additions to the hospital from this era until the 1960s when a laboratory and mortuary were added after the Victoria Infirmary became a designated teaching hospital.
The hospital closed in 2015, replaced by the New Victoria Hospital which is located across the road. The main building of the old hospital was then converted into flats by the Sanctuary Group.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow