TULLIS ST MEMORIAL GARDENS
WHERE IS IT? A short walk from Bridgeton Cross and London Road in Glasgow’s East End, near Glasgow Green
Originally a cemetery in the 17th and 18th centuries, it was officially shut in 1870. Not long after the closure, the bodies interned there were exhumed and buried elsewhere.
The land became one of the few green spaces in the heavily built-up area of Bridgeton, but over the years it had become unkempt and unsafe. In the mid-1980s a number of improvements were made, including a new footpath, landscaping and seating, under the Glasgow East Area Renewal Programme.
Once again the gardens fell into a state of disrepair. In 2008 a public meeting was held to identify what could be done. By 2009, environmental architects working for Clyde Gateway had drawn up a number of plans, which were put on public display in February of that year to test the waters. After positive feedback from the public, the £315,000 refurbishment took place, including replacing trees, adding new lighting and removing old fencing. The work was completed in six months, and the gardens were officially re-opened on October 22nd, 2009.
For more information on this and all their other regeneration projects, please visit Clyde Gateway’s official website.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow