WHERE IS IT? In the Merchant City area facing the River Clyde, where Bridgegate meets Clyde Street
This impressive A listed building held the city’s biggest fish market for over 100 years since its construction in 1873. It lays vacant for the last quarter of the 20th Century but has since been redeveloped into a cultural space for artists and organisations.
The original building was designed by the firm Clarke & Bell, consisting of William Clarke and George Bell, who also made additions in 1886 alongside their former assistant Robert Alexander Bryden, who had now started his own firm. After the fish market closed, the Briggait was converted into a shopping centre by Tom Laurie Associates, but it proved unpopular and lay abandoned until the Workshop and Artist Studio Provision Scotland (Wasps) took an interest. The charity identifies, acquires and develops affordable studio space for visual artists. With funding from Glasgow City Council, Scottish Enterprise, Historic Scotland and other sources, Wasps drafted in Nicoll Russell Studios to design and build the new centre. It features 45 studios for artists, as well as 24 offices for cultural organisations and four shop units for creative companies. As well as keeping the exterior intact, the 1873 Courtyard was also restored to its former glory.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow