STRUTHERS MEMORIAL CHURCH
WHERE IS IT? In the West End on Westbourne Gardens West, one street east of Hyndland Road
Although the Struthers Memorial Church, an Independent Pentecostal Fellowship, was found in the 1950s in Greenock, their building on Westbourne Gardens West in Hyndland has a much longer history.
The building was designed in 1880 by famous architect John Honeyman. He opted for an Italian Renaissance style, complete with Ionic columns and twin bell towers. Immediately inside there is a colourful entrance vestibule, while the airy main hall is decorated with nine stained glass windows by Douglas Strachan, fitted much later in 1920. The building was originally known as the Belhaven-Westbourne Free Church, which was then changed to the Great Western Road Free Church prior to Struthers taking it over.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow