WHERE IS IT? The main campus is located in the city centre, north east of George Square, running all the way to Cathedral Precinct
Strathclyde University became Glasgow’s second university when it received its Royal Charter in 1964. At the time, the new university was born from a focus on technical and scientific subjects.
The university's origins can be traced back to 1796 and the death of the Natural Philosophy Professor John Anderson, who had taught at the University of Glasgow. It was his wish that his estate be used to create an alternative educational establishment that would focus on practical subjects. It is for him that Strathclyde’s city-centre campus is named after. They had tried to honour him previously in 1828 by naming the school Anderson’s University, but this was forced to be changed half a century later as they did not have the authority to grant themselves the title of “university.”
The teaching entity went through several name changes and mergers. Perhaps the largest of these was the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, which later changed to the Royal College of Science and Technology. It was formed in 1887 from the amalgamation of Anderson's College, the College of Science and Arts, Allan Glen's Institution, the Young Chair of Technical Chemistry and Atkinson's Institution.
Upon the formation of the University of Strathclyde in 1964, the Royal College merged with the Scottish College of Commerce, previously the Glasgow Athenaeum Commercial College, which was originally the business and technical side of what is now the Royal Conservatoire. Many of Strathclyde’s campus buildings were planned and built in the 1960s, making them more functional rather than architecturally admirable. The one exception is the original Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College building, commonly known simply as “The Tech,” standing opposite the city chambers.
The design was open to competition in 1900 and drew some unsuccessful entries from well-known architects such as John Honeyman, William Forrest Salmon and Thomas Lennox Watson in collaboration with Henry Mitchell. It was eventually won in 1901 by architecture firm H & D Barclay, made up of siblings Hugh and David. The grand red sandstone building sits diagonally behind the Glasgow City Chambers building, and the foundation stone was laid by King Edward VII in 1903. The construction itself took seven years, the Barclays dividing the project up into four sections. At the time of its completion in 1910, it was the largest single educational complex in all of Europe.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow