STRATHCLYDE PUBLIC SCHOOL
WHERE IS IT? In the Southside near Shields Road subway station, roughly 20 minute walk from the city centre
The Strathclyde Public School was designed and built by the architectural firm John McKissack & Son in 1903.
John McKissack had just taken his son James on as an apprentice following his education at the Glasgow School of Art and Glasgow & West of Scotland Technical College. This was the firm’s first school building, and although they went on to build several more, after his father’s death in 1915, James found his niche in designing and building cinemas, primarily for George Singleton, all across the West of Scotland. The school’s location, next to the large Barrowfield Works factories, was most likely to accommodate the families of the east end industrial workers. However, the expansion of the area as an industrial zone meant that the school was only used for seventy years, closing its doors in 1974.
While many of these fine Glasgow school buildings have fallen into disuse, this is thankfully not one of them. After its closure in 1974, the school was refurbished as the Dalmarnock Adult Training Centre in 1976, but closed a short while later. In 1999 it was reopened as the Strathclyde Business Centre by Spectrum Properties, who converted it into 45 offices.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow