ST SILAS EPISCOPAL CHURCH
WHERE IS IT? In the West End next to the University of Glasgow, across from the north entrance to Kelvingrove Park on Gibson St
St. Silas formed in 1864 as an independent Anglican congregation, breaking away from St. Jude’s English Episcopal Church on St. Vincent Street.
The church's founders included shipping magnate Sir George Burns, Sir Archibald Ilay Campbell, and Dunoon landowner William Burnley. Choosing to relocate in the rapidly developing West End, the new church was built near the University of Glasgow in 1864, where Campbell served as Dean of Faculties. The church, featuring a large centre rose window, was designed by John Honeyman, a renowned architect and future partner of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The church hall was not built for another thirty years in 1895. This hall was later replaced in 2011 as part of the “Building for the Future” project to better suit the modern needs of the church.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow