ST PETER'S RC CHURCH
WHERE IS IT? On Hyndland Street in the Partick area, just down the hill from Cottiers Theatre, near Kelvinhall subway station
St. Peter’s is the largest church designed by English architect Peter Paul Pugin, whose father Augustus was seen as a pioneering figure in championing the Gothic Revival style.
Augustus died only a year after Peter was born, but his legacy lived on when both Peter and his half-brother Edward set up the family architecture firm Pugin & Pugin. Despite their offices being in London and Liverpool, many of Peter’s clients were Scottish, and so he maintained an office in Glasgow. He provided designs for over fifty of Scotland’s churches, but it was only after Edward passed away in 1875 that Peter stepped out of his brother and father’s shadow to develop his own, curvilinear Gothic style, usually in Glasgow’s characteristic red sandstone. He also began to craft elaborate altarpieces in different coloured marbles. St. Peter’s was completed in 1903, making it on the last, and possibly finest church Pugin designed before his death in 1904. His firm was continued by his nephew Sebastian, who provided additional work to St. Peter’s in 1909.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow