ST MARY'S EPISCOPAL CATHEDRAL
WHERE IS IT? On Great Western Road in Glasgow's West End, between Kelvinbridge and St. George's Cross Underground station
Found on Great Western Road, just along from the impressive Lansdowne Church, the cathedral was originally opened in 1871 as St. Mary’s Episcopal Church. However, it was not completed until two decades later when the spire was finally erected in 1893.
St Mary's was designed by famous English architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, who also designed St. Mary’s Cathedral in Edinburgh, as well as the main building of Glasgow University. It was while he was working on the latter that the church approached him to design their new building; the previous church, located on the corner of Renfield Street and St. Mary’s Lane, which had housed their congregation since 1825, was deemed too small for their growing membership. Although Scott lived to see the building finished, he passed away in 1878, and so the spire added to the original tower was designed by his son, John Oldrid Scott. During the decades leading up to the 20th Century, five new mission churches were established from St. Mary’s. The Scottish Episcopal Church Diosese of Glasgow and Galloway chose to reward the church’s growing influence by granting it Cathedral status in 1908. During the 1980s and 1990s, the Cathedral was in need of urgent repair work, including repairs to the spire and tower, as well completely reslating the roof.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow