ST JOHN'S RENFIELD CHURCH
WHERE IS IT? On Beaconsfield Road, far west of the of the West End, just off Great Western Road and Clevenden Road
The church came into being when two city-centre congregations, St. John’s Church and Renfield Church, merged in 1923. Their leaders opted to move out of the bustling city and construct a new church in the suburbs of Kelvindale.
A competition to find a suitable design was launched in 1927, and was eventually won by architect John Taylor Thomson. In 1931, a year after the church was completed, the architect went on to marry Wilhelmina Coutts Malcolm within the very walls he had built. Crafted in the Gothic Rival style favoured at the time, the external stone was sourced from Auchenheath, while the internal walls were built with Northumbrian stone. The most notable feature is the ornate, open-work lead fleche adorning the roof, which was restored in 2009 as part of a grant-funded conversion project. The church also sports a number of tall stained glass windows crafted by eminent glaziers Douglas Strachan and Gordon Webster.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow