ST GEORGE'S TRON CHURCH
WHERE IS IT? Right in the heart of the city, where Buchanan Street intersects West George Street and forms Nelson Mandela Place
Situated in Nelson Mandela Place, St George's Tron Church proudly watches over the busy Buchanan Street, which was feuded in 1777, only a few decades before the church was constructed in 1808.
The distinguished building was designed by the well-regarded William Stark, who favoured the Neo-Classic style. It was originally built to rehouse the growing congregation from the Wynd Church, so named because it had been built on the Back Wynd in 1687, a long, narrow, and by all accounts filthy street in the Trongate district. Likewise, St George’s Church was so named because it was located in St George’s Place. The name was changed to Nelson Mandela Place in 1986 to show Glasgow’s support for the campaign to free the political prisoner and future President of South Africa, much to the annoyance of staff at the South African consulate. The church itself also underwent a name change in 1940 when it was united with the Tron St Anne Church, forming the St George’s Tron Parish Church.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow