ST GEORGE'S MANSIONS
WHERE IS IT? At Charing Cross, where the city centre ends and the West End begins, overlooking the M8 Motorway
Built at the end of the Victorian Era in 1901, St. George’s Mansions were designed by the architecture firm Frank Burnet & Boston, Boston referring to Burnet’s former assistant turned partner William James Boston. Another architect at the firm, James Carruthers, was involved with the building.
The curved red sandstone tenement block is similar to that of Charing Cross Mansions, which lies on the opposite side of the motorway divide. This was coincidentally design by Sir John James Burnet, although he is of no relation to Frank. St. George’s Mansions refers to St. George’s Cross, located just north of Charing Cross. It was commissioned by the City Improvement Trust, an organisation that was formed to regenerate some of the city’s poorer housing areas in the 19th century. Frank Burnet & Boston would go on to work with the City Improvement Trust again, building several tenement blocks throughout Glasgow.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow