ST COLUMBA CHURCH OF SCOTLAND
WHERE IS IT? In the city centre on St Vincents Street, near Charing Cross and the St Vincent's Street Church
While the gothic church building on St Vincent’s Street dates back to 1904, St. Columbia’s congregation’s history dates further back still to 1770, established for Glasgow’s Gaelic-speaking citizens that had emigrated south from the Highlands and Islands.
Because of this association, the Category B listed building is often referred to as the Highland Cathedral. It was designed by the architecture firm Tennant and Burke, which had formed after William Tennant’s partner, renowned church architect Robert Baldie, had died in 1890. The church is the only building the pair built together; a year after its completion the partnership was dissolved due to Burke’s alcoholism.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow