ST ANNE'S RC CHURCH
WHERE IS IT? On Whitevale Road, just off the main thoroughfare of Duke Street in Glasgow's East End
St Anne’s Roman Catholic Church is part of the Archdiocese of Glasgow that was established in 1472. St Anne’s was formed on the cusp of the 19th century in 1899 to serve the citizens of Glasgow’s East End.
Their original church existed on David Street in the Gallowgate area, converting an old stable for tram horses into a presbytery and eventually a primary school. By 1930 the number of parishioners had grown considerably, as had their families, which required the school to be extended. On the advice of Archbishop Donald MacKintosh, Father John Fleming, the Parish’s fourth priest, expanded the school into the church itself, while they sought a new building. This is the current site of St Anne’s Roman Catholic Primary School.
The Daughters of Charity of St Vincent de Paul, a Catholic woman’s society that help the poor, operated a children’s refuge and hostel in Whitevale Street, just north of the school. The parish purchased the land and commissioned a new church be built upon it. It was designed by Jack Antonio Coia, of architecture firm Gillespie, Kidd and Coia. Jack was the son of sculptor Giovanni Coia, who emigrated to Glasgow to join his other family members. Giovanni opened a number of ice-cream shops in Glasgow’s East End, while inspiring his children in art; as well as Jack, his other son Emilio was a famous caricature artist for newspapers. Coia’s design inspired one of the finest Romanesque churches to be built in Glasgow, officially opening on the 17th December, 1933. It features large circular rose window and a curved main hall. Dennistoun’s dense population had boomed in the decades prior to this, so it had room to seat 1,400 people. Later it was decided to divide the parish up, with the establishment of St. Nicolas’s and also Our Lady of Good Counsel. In present day, St Anne’s has become a centre for Glasgow’s Polish community.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow