ST ALOYSIUS CHURCH
WHERE IS IT? On Rose Street, just one block north of the Glasgow Film Theatre
Tucked away in the city centre district of Garnethill, this Jesuit Catholic church, the foundations of which were laid in 1908. The land was bought by the Society of Jesus, who at the time were running the parish of St. Joseph’s Church.
In 1868, Father William Kay was sent to Garnethill with instructions to set up a new mission there, separate from the existing St. Joseph’s. This was to become St. Aloysius, named after the 16th Century Italian aristocrat and missionary Gonzaga Aloysius. Kay constructed a building on the land the Society owned, an iron and glass structure that was dubbed “Father Kay’s Railway Shed” due to its similarities with the recently built Queen Street Railway Station.
Forty years later, the first stone was laid for the new church, blessed by the then Archbishop of Glasgow John Maguire. In a little over eighteen months the church was completed. It was designed in the Italian Renaissance style of the 16th Century, presumably to match its namesake, by Belgian architect and Glasgow School of Art graduate Charles Jean Menart.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow