SHERBROOKE ST GILBERT'S CHURCH
WHERE IS IT? South-west of the city, on Nithsdale Road, near Dumbreck train station and a short walk from Bellahouston Park
Just before the turn of the 20th Century, the Free Church of Scotland was encouraged to expand by building more churches. In 1893, the Free Church Extension Committee, led by Rev Dr. Howie of Govan, convened to discuss constructing a church West of Pollokshields, towards Bellahouston Park.
Named after Sherbrooke Avenue where it is located, named after the first family to build on the street, the church hall’s foundations were laid in 1894. Construction of the church itself did not begin until 1898, so that the church could better judge their membership numbers and address budgetary concerns. It officially opened on the 23rd December, 1900 with a price tag of £14,000. The church underwent some name changes as the religious landscape changed, but by 1929 it had settled on the simple Sherbrooke Church. However, in 1942, when the church joined with another, St. Gilberts, named after Gilbert de Moravia of Caithness, the names were fused to become Sherbrooke St. Gilbert Church.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow