SHAWLANDS ACADEMY / PRIMARY
WHERE IS IT? On Pollokshaws Road in the Shawlands district on the south side, a short walk from Queens Park
The original Shawlands Academy building, designed by by the architecture firm James Hamilton & Son and built in 1983, is now occupied by Shawlands Primary School.
The school was one of the last projects managed by James Hamilton before he died in 1894. He had only recently reconciled with his son, John H. Hamilton, after a disagreement that lasted a decade. When James passed away, John took over the firm, employing his own son, Arthur, as his apprentice. The pair worked on the school together between 1899 and 1905 when additional work was required, while John had designed an extension for the school which was constructed earlier in 1896.
In 1930 Shawlands Academy hired Thomas Baird to design and build a much larger building adjacent to the original on Moss Side Road. The building, which was completed in 1933, now houses the secondary school students, while the original building was kept for the primary school pupils.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow