WHERE IS IT: Southwest of the city centre, in the Rutherglen district, on the corner of Mill Street and Rodger Drive
This little pocket of peaceful parkland is far out of the city centre, but well worth a visit for its B listed cast-iron bandstand as well as its cutting edge BMX tracks.
The park is named after industrialist Lord Overtoun, a.k.a John Campbell White, who bestowed the land to the Royal Burgh of Rutherglen, but perhaps more infamous for his White’s Chemical Company. The company was found to be polluting the land in the 1800s, and much of it is still contaminated, making the gift of the park slightly ironic.
The cast-iron bandstand was created by Walter MacFarlane & Co at their Saracen plant, where they also made the fountain located in Alexandra Park. It bears the inscription "Presented by Sir James Fleming Knight of Woodburn to the Corporation of the Royal Burgh of Rutherglen 1914". Overtoun also has a cast-iron fountain, this one dedicated to Queen Victoria’s jubilee and decorated with golden owls.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow