OUR LADY AND ST MARGARET'S SCHOOL
WHERE IS IT? On At the southern end of Stanley Street in the Kinning Park area, next to the M8 Motorway
Located in what is now an industrial estate, the Our Lady and St Margaret’s School was originally built in 1910, designed by Donald Bruce and Edward Alexander Buckingham Hay.
It was larger than most typical Glasgow schools of that period, comprised of five floors of red sandstone. It borrowed motifs from the neighbouring St. Margaret’s Presbytery, built in 1882 by the architecture firm Pugin & Pugin, such as the relieving arches and entrance bay. The C-listed building was closed in 1997, and has unfortunately become derelict. In 2006, plans were submitted to transform the building into a commercial property, which would retain the façade of the building, but destroy the rest. As yet, no work has been done.
By 1910, when the school came to be built, Bruce & Hay would have been well known within the Kinning Park area, having designed a number of large projects nearby including the Kinning Park Colour Works, Kinning Park Baths, and several buildings, mainly warehouses, for the Kinning Park Co-operative Society. In fact, many have commented that the school is a good example of a building on a palazzo scale, in that it resembles a tall warehouse.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow