OLD COTTON MILL
WHERE IS IT? In the Gorbals district just South of the River Clyde, where Old Rutherglen Road meets Commercial Road
The Old Cotton Mill used to be known as the Twomax Clothing Factory, named after the company that used to make its knitwear there. It was constructed between 1816 and 1817 and is the oldest surviving iron-framed fireproof building in the city.
The four-storey structure was built for cotton merchant Robert Humphreys but was later owned by Robert Thomson, who also owned the Adelphi Cotton Works. The original building was a plain cuboid shape, but sometime in the 1970s, it appears that the fifth floor with large bay windows and the zig-zag roof were added. The mill was converted to offices in 1998, with the fake smoke statue added to the chimney as a memento to the past.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow