KELVINSIDE HILLHEAD PARISH CHURCH
WHERE IS IT? On Observatory Road, just off Byres Road in the West End, across from the Hillhead Library
This magnificent church, modelled on Sainte Chapelle in Paris, was designed by famous Glasgow architect and sculptor James Sellars, who also designed the Stewart Memorial Fountain in Kelvingrove Park.
Although Sellars won a limited competition set up to find a suitable design, he was requested to produce a revised design based on an entry by his noted peer William Leiper. Sellars completed the church, then known as Belmont & Hillhead Parish Church, in 1876. Leiper may have lost the competition, but his long-time collaborator, glazier Daniel Cottier, would later manufacture and install five of the stain glass windows between 1893 and 1907.
Beside the change of name, the church has grown and been altered over the decades. A porch and baptistery were fitted in 1926 to mark he Golden Jubilee of the Church, while in 1930 the original organ was refurbished and shifted down. By 1999, weather erosion spoiled the original paintwork, and exposed the artist stencilling underneath. A specialist painter was employed to reproduce the paint without spoiling the stencils, mimicking the original artist’s technique of cutting stencils and mixing colours.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow