HYNDLAND PRIMARY SCHOOL
WHERE IS IT? On Clarence Drive in the city’s West End, just off the main thoroughfare of Hyndland Road
Originally known as Hyndland Public School, it was designed by architect Henry Edward Clifford in 1909, in a competition run by the Govan School Board.
Clifford beat out the well-known church architect John Bennie Wilson, and the school was built the following year. Comprised of polished red ashlar, the rectangular symmetrical school building was later joined by a neighbouring larger structure to house older secondary students. The extension, built between 1928 and 1929, was designed by architecture firm Denny & Blain, the firm of Alexander Cochran Denny and William John Blain.
While the extension is still home to Hyndland Secondary School, Clifford’s original building was vacated by the Primary School in 1972, moving to nearby Fortrose Street. The vacant building was taken over by the Hope Church, and in 1984 attained a Category B listing status.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow