WHERE IS IT? A railway bridge that is part of Central Station, best viewed from where it crosses Argyle Street
This magnificent rail bridge earned its nickname as a meeting place for many Highland workers during the Highland clearances of the 19th Century. The Gaelic-speaking workers, spread all over the city, would meet here to shelter from the harsh Glasweigan weather, hence Highland Man’s Umbrella.
The original bridge opened for business in 1879, although it was extended in 1905 to accommodate the large volumes of people visiting the city. The station was designed by Scottish Victorian architect Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, while the extension was handled by James Miller. In 1998 Bovis Lend Lease managed extensive refurbishments, both internally and externally. Heilanman’s Umbrella’s Venetian style windows were reglazed, and the large, golden “Central Station” signage was added towards the tail-end of the renovations in 2000. The company also renovated the lower-level station entrance and retail spaces under the bridge, installing high powered lighting and enhanced extractor fans.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow