WHERE IS IT? In the city centre at 144 St. Vincent Street, just off of Hope Street, two blocks north of Central Station
The aptly named Hatrack Building sports a tall, slender Art Nouveau design from architect James Salmon. Although officially known as St. Vincent Chambers, the building’s nickname derives from the oriental-style iron cupola and the projecting finials that back in the day looked like the hooks of a hat rack.
Salmon, a third generation architect, commenced construction of the building in 1899, and completed it a few years later in 1902. The unusual design offers a true 3D perspective, with the two towers of bay windows sandwiching the central recess. It was renovated in 1990 and converted into offices, but many features of the A-listed structure were retained, including the stained-glass windows on the ground floor, as well as the original, tight squeezed wrought-iron elevator.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow