GRAND CENTRAL PICTURE HOUSE
WHERE IS IT? On Jamaica Street in the city centre, a short walk from Central Station
Currently home to the Classic Grand nightclub, this five-storey building, constructed in 1860, was originally a warehouse that stored shipments from the River Clyde.
The cinema conversion was designed by Glasgow architect William B White, best known for his winning competition design for the Mitchell Library. Opening in 1915, it showed a mixture of drama, comedy and newsreels, with an orchestra pit to supply the background music. The cinema remained popular until the latter half of the century, when, after World War II, more modern picture houses were built. It tried to find a niche audience with arthouse cinema, but many of the films it showed were either erotica or B-rated horror.
The Grand Central closed in 1966, but shortly after being given a category B-listed building status in 1970, it re-opened as the Classic-Grand cinema in 1973, under the auspices of its new owners, Classic Cinemas. It changed names again to the Cannon-Grand, and finally the Curzon, before closing its doors as a cinema chain for good in 1992. For a brief spell, it operated as an amusement arcade but was the site of a fire in 2001. Most of the original art deco features of the cinema remained intact, and after renovation, it opened as the Classic Grand nightclub.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow