GLASGOW CALEDONIAN UNIVERSITY
WHERE IS IT? The campus is found on Cowcaddens Road, immediately north of Buchanan Bus Station
Glasgow Caledonian is the city's newest university, formed by an Act of Parliament on the 1st April 1993. It was the result of a union between The Queens College and Glasgow Polytechnic.
The history of Queens College stretches back as far as 1875, known then as the Glasgow School of Cookery. It merged with the West End School of Cookery in 1908 to form Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science, or as the locals took to calling it, “The Dough School.” The polytechnic, on the other hand, was relatively new, having opened as the Glasgow College in 1971, before changing its name twenty years later for promotional purposes.
The merger to form Caledonia saw the institution housed in the Polytechnic’s campus on Cowcaddens Road, built by Scottish architecture practice Borthwick & Watson. The new university, now the fifth largest in Scotland, was seen as necessary to offer non-elitist, further education to a body of students who may be otherwise neglected the opportunity.
It has since gone on to win the Times University award for outstanding international student support in 2008, in part due to the construction of the £23m Saltire Centre in 2006. It was seen as a marked effort to buck the conventions of the library it replaced, with a coffee bar and a relaxed, informal atmosphere, while offering much needed technological upgrades and resources, including free Wi-Fi and computer access. The centre managed to double the annual visitors of its previous incarnation, thanks to the modern design by BDP (Building Design Partnership), who were inspired by the idea that learning begins with a conversation.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow