WHERE IS IT? Hidden in the heart of the East End, next to Celtic Park. The entrance is opposite the Forge Shopping Centre
The city’s third Necropolis was opened in 1847, shortly after the larger Southern Necropolis opened in Gorbals. It was laid out in the large grounds of Janefield House, and as a result, is sometimes known as Janefield Cemetery.
The house itself was owned by wealthy grocer Robert McNair, who named it for his wife, Jean Homles. McNair was known as a bit of an eccentric Glasgow character; he often dressed in bright, gay fashion, and ordered that the keystones in the arches above his shop be cut to look like ludicrous human faces.
As a result of the industrial revolution, many of those who relocated to Glasgow’s East End for work were later buried here. Just like the older cemetery, the gravestones in the Eastern Necropolis have unfortunately fallen into a state of disrepair. Although not as mountainous as the (northern) Necropolis, the entire cemetery is built on an incline, ending where Celtic Park’s Northern stand encroaches on the cemetery wall, casting its gargantuan shadow over the lower graves.
The Eastern Necropolis, like many cemeteries in Glasgow, is the final resting place for a number of armed forces personnel lost in the two World Wars. It also has a small Jewish section opened by the Glasgow Hebrew Congregation in 1855, although it has not been regularly used by the Jewish community since the early 1900s. Other gravestones of note are those of Alexander Rodger, a poet, songwriter and journalist who hailed from nearby Bridgeton, Gaelic poet and activist Duncan Livingstone, and footballer Alexander Cruikshanks, who died on the pitch in 1932 as a goalkeeper for Strathclyde F.C.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow