WHERE IS IT? In the Garnethill district of the city centre, on the corner of Hill Street and Rose Street, near St. Aloysius Church
The Drill Hall was built in 1897 and was originally used by the 5th and 6th Highland Light Infantry Volunteers Brigade. It was designed by the brilliantly named architect Horatio Kelson Bromhead along with his apprentice, the more common sounding John Anderson.
The building contained a concert hall, club room, reading room and gymnasium. The short tower that rises from the corner was built as a separate apartment for a live-in caretaker.
It was later bought by the Glasgow School of Art after the Highland Light infantry merged with the 52nd Lowland Volunteers in 1967. It was renamed the Haldane Building, which houses the school’s Careers Service, the Department of Ceramics, and also the Fine Art workshops. It was named after the famous Glasgow engraver James Haldane, whose organisation, the Haldane Trust, made a contribution to the school in 1853 to fulfil Haldane’s dying wish that scholarships be set up in his name.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow