DOWANHILL PRIMARY SCHOOL
WHERE IS IT? In the West End, just along from Byers Road, with the main entrance on Havelock Street
Dowanhill Public School, as it was originally known, was constructed from 1894 to 1896 by Scottish architecture firm Steele & Balfour, built from the red sandstone favoured during that period.
At the time it was the most expensive school commissioned by the Govan Parish School Board, who had it in mind to house 1,500 pupils. It predates the residential tenements that now surround the school grounds.
It was granted a Category C listed status in 2006 by Historic Scotland. In 2013 a complete refurbishment and expansion of the school was carried out, with the modern, adjoining building using a similar colour scheme to the red sandstone to better fit together.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow