WHERE IS IT: North West of the city centre, in between the Kelvindale and Maryhill districts
Best known for its tremendous views of the River Kelvin, which cuts through the land, the park is a favourite among birdwatchers, dog watchers and nature lovers.
The parkland was purchased by the City from Sir Archibald Campbell of Succoth in 1922. It was part of the estate of the family’s Garscube home, and known then as the Belvidere plantation. Sir Campbell also blessed the City with a donation of more land that was contaminated with waste oil shale mounds, not wishing to pay for it to be remediated. The City had the ground levelled so football pitches could be built here. The park has been enjoyed since then as an avid area for ornithologists and nature lovers, enjoying a stroll through the woods and across the stone bridge that offers great views of the River Kelvin. In 2007 the city council made Dawsholm Park a Local Nature Reserve, and introduced highland cattle to graze on the grasslands in the hope of developing wildflower meadows.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow