WHERE IS IT? On Berryknowes Road in the Cardonald area, southwest of the city centre, right next to Cardonald train station
Named after the residential suburb nearby, Craigton Cemetery opened its gates in 1873. Like the nearby Cardonald Cemetery, just south of this one, Craigton Cemetery is the final resting place for a number of World War II servicemen.
Eighty-four souls who lost their lives in that engagement are buried here, including 41 soldiers, 21 airmen, 15 sailors, as well as two Merchant Navy seamen and a member of the Home Guard. As well as the British forces, there are a couple of soldiers, sailors and airmen from Canada and New Zealand who were also laid to rest in Craigton.
Among the headstones is a monument dedicated to Titanic victim Pastor John Harper and his wife Anne. Harper was sought out by Charles Livingstone to lead a new congregation when the latter founded the Paisley Road Baptist Church. During this time Harper oversaw the construction of a new church in the Plantation district of Glasgow. The building earned itself the nickname “The Tin Kirk” due to its corrugated iron exterior. Anne died in 1906, and a few years later, Harper himself left Glasgow to become a minister at the Walworth Road Church in London in 1909. He was subsequently invited to speak at Moody Church in Chicago, an invitation which found him boarding the ill-fated Titanic in 1912. In 1913, plans were drawn up to replace the Tin Kirk with a stone church. It opened in 1914 and was named the Harper Memorial Baptist Church. The graveyard is also home to the Co-op Crematorium. Built in 1957 by architect James Steel Maitland, the building itself was recently refurbished and has its own chapel and garden of remembrance.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow