CHRIST HEALING A BLIND BOY
WHERE IS IT? On Castle Street, right next to the Royal Infirmary Hospital, just north of Cathedral Precinct
This statue sits on the corner of what used to be The Blind Asylum of Glasgow. Erected in 1881 and designed by William Landless, it was home to those who were robbed of sight, where they were helped, housed and educated.
The building itself has an odd hexagonal spire, which is home to a face faced clock, the only one in Europe. Below one of the clock faces sits the statue of Christ Restoring Sight to a Blind Child, created by Charles Grassby.
The sculptor, originally from London, moved to Glasgow in the 1860s. He found work with John and George Mossman and helped them on several of Glasgow’s most important buildings, including Glasgow City Chambers. Much of his work has been lost to demolition or erosion, which makes Christ Healing a Blind Boy a worthwhile sight to seek out.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow