CAMERON MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN
WHERE IS IT? On the corner of Sauchiehall Street and Woodside Cresent, near the motorway interchange and Charing Cross
This inoperative Victorian drinking fountain, comprised of Doulton terracotta resting on a granite base, was built as a tribute to Sir Charles Cameron (1843 – 1913), a much-respected newspaper editor and Liberal MP.
Constructed by English ceramic artist George Tinworth between 1895 and 1896, the fountain is embedded with two identical portrait medallions of the man for whom the fountain is named. Cameron was a member of the Temperance Movement, and used his position at the North British Daily Mail to promote his views, although one feels his words may have fallen on deaf ears in Glasgow. He was responsible for introducing the Inebriates Act of 1898 into Parliament, which saw “habitual drunkards” blacklisted and those who continued to serve them alcohol fined. It is somewhat ironic then that the fountain built to commemorate him looks a bit tipsy. Over the years the statue has subsided slightly, and although some speculate that it was due to the construction of the M8 Motorway nearby, photographic evidence from the 1940s shows it started before that.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow