WHERE IS IT? On Sauchiehall Street, facing onto Elmbank Street, next door to The Garage nightclub
Originally an Art Deco hotel constructed in the 1930s, the ten floor Beresford building is today a series of apartments. The rooms were all arranged around a central inner lightwell, but has since been converted into an actual courtyard.
Thought of as Glasgow’s first skyscraper, the hotel was built to provide rooms for attendees of the British Empire Exhibition in Bellahouston Park in 1938. Managed by its architect, William Beresford Inglis of Weddell & Inglis, the hotel was a regular haunt of American servicemen during World War II. Soon after the war, it came into new management, whisky entrepreneur Jimmy Barclay. However, it's popularity declined, and it was sold to Imperial Chemical Industries in 1952. The company converted it into office space, calling it the ICI Building. A decade later, Strathclyde University bought the building, transforming it into the Baird Hall of Residence for students. In 2003, having fallen into disrepair, the grade B listed building was sold and converted into apartments, with the restoration and renovation work carried out by the Glasgow arm of architect firm 3D Reid, and completed in 2007.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow