WHERE IS IT? Located at 396-450 Sauchiehall Street, in the City Centre, just along from the Beresford Building
Construction on this large B listed red sandstone block started in 1900, but due to the size, was undertaken in two sections. The West section was finished three years later in 1903, but the east wing was not started until 1907, and finally completed in 1908.
The building consisted of a ground level of shops and warehouses, with 12 spacious flats in the upper four floors. It was designed by the architecture firm of Watson & Mitchell, owned by Thomas Lennox Watson and Henry Mitchell. Watson found fame with the likes of his neo-Roman design for the Wellington Church, which began construction opposite the University of Glasgow in 1882. His style seems to have been transferred from Alfred Waterhouse, a London architect whom he was assistant under for a time. With his own practice in Glasgow, Watson took on Mitchell as his partner. Mitchell seems to have had a curse placed on him, as his two previous partnerships, the first with William Tait Conner and the second with Charles Edward Whitelaw, failed to yield any great commissions or prospects. His new partnership with Watson lasted the length of time it took to build Ashfield House. However, in 1909 a new Finance Act by Prime Minister Herbert Henry Asquith and Chancellor David Lloyd George significantly increased the country’s taxes. Work dried up, and by 1913 the partnership was dissolved, with Mitchell going it alone.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow