ANDERSON STREET NURSERY
WHERE IS IT? On Anderson Street in the west end suburb of Partick, just around the corner from the train station
Originally known as the Partick Free Church School when it was built in 1846, it was initially a school of industry for girls, where they learned the basics of domestic education.
In 1850 an extension was constructed at the rear of the original building, allowing enough space for the school to accept both boys and girls. By 1958 the school lost its free status, and as a public school was forced to charge pupils a penny a week in order to study there. In 1874, two years after the Education (Scotland) Act was passed, the school fell into the remit of the Govan Parish School Board. Along with this change came the new name, Anderson Street Public School.
They also extended the building, this time upwards, adding a second storey. Just before the turn of the century, the pupils were transferred to Stewartville Public School. Their former school was still used for education, teaching various workshops and occasionally housing overflows from other schools. This was its main purpose for fifty years until it became a nursery school in 1940.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow