ADELPHI TERRACE PUBLIC SCHOOL
WHERE IS IT? On Florence Street in the Gorbals, on the south bank of the River Clyde across from Glasgow Green
The Adelphi was designed by Glasgow sculptor and architect Thomas Lennox Watson, and was previously home to the Interior Design Annexe of the Glasgow College of Building and Printing.
The Renaissance red ashlar building was completed in 1894 and featured tympana that mixed Pharaonic and Elizabethan masks. Watson is perhaps best known for Wellington Church, built a decade before the school. One of his last jobs was to restore one of the city’s oldest monuments: the 17th Century Thomas Hutcheson Monument, which now rests by the side entrance of Glasgow Cathedral.
When Watson passed away in 1920, he left a legacy of £100 to the Glasgow Institute of Architects. The institute has since honoured him by naming the top award to first-year students after him, which is still given to this day.
In 2018, the former school building was sold to Glasgow firm Urban Office, and converted into office space.
The highlights for those only in Glasgow for a day or two
Glasgow has a vast selection of museums and art galleries
Buildings and designs by Scotland's most famous architect
The pioneer of sustainable building with many examples across Glasgow